Before dwelling on the natural remedies to stop snoring, it is right to start first by describing what snoring is all about and the major causes of it. In doing so, it is very easy to determine to stop snoring without resorting to artificial remedies like anti-snoring devices that are now commonly found in the market. Snoring affects millions of people in all races and does not discriminate against people in terms of age, gender, and social status. In other words, anybody may or may not be affected by it indirectly or directly.
What Is Snoring?
Snoring is a noise when breathing while sleeping. It can occur regularly or periodically when you sleep and it can disturb your sleeping habits as well as irritates other people as well like your bed partner or your roommate. Accordingly, it becomes a serious matter as one grows older and it is linked as one of the leading causes of heart diseases and sleepiness and tiredness during the daytime.
What Causes It?
There are many factors that cause snoring. It can be due to aging as one grows older the throat muscles become more relaxed thus it becomes more conducive to snoring. The second cause is abnormalities in the nose or throat such as enlarged tonsils, nasal polyps, or too narrow passage of the throat. The third cause is abnormalities in function like due to nose inflammation as a result of infection, sleep position like sleeping on your back, or as a result of alcohol which tends to relax muscles and ingestion of it produces snoring.
How to Stop It Naturally
Now that you know the natural and major causes of snoring, you can now begin to learn the ways on stopping it by attacking or focusing on the major causes. One of the ill results of snoring is that a lot of people make fun of the individual who snores, thus if you are one of them take time to review these methods to avoid being the butt of snoring jokes.
- From the list of major causes, you can deduce that snoring is a sleeping disorder and sleeping habit contributes to it. Thus, the top priority to stop snoring naturally is to focus on altering sleeping habits. For example, sleeping on your back tends to restrict airflow to the lungs thus you snore. Sleeping on your side is the natural remedy to drastically reduce if not eliminates snoring.
- Snoring is an effect of irregular sleeping habits thus you should have routinary sleeping schedule. When you deprive your body with good rest, you sleep intensely and as a result the muscles located at the back of your throat tend to be more than relaxed than it should normally be and thus create snoring. Thus, you need to develop full night rest sleeping habits
- If sleeping on your side and regular sleeping habits cannot stop snoring, you might as well consider using your pillows properly. Using bigger pillows to elevate your head will help stop snoring because propping up your head helps reposition the tongue and jaw and create an opening of airways while sleeping thus reducing the occurrence of snoring. It is either you use a thicker pillow or you additional pillow, or just simply fold the pillow to elevate your head while you sleep.
- Dust and minute particles are also contributory factors for snoring as the soft palate membrane and the throat becomes irritated when you breathe dust, minute particles, and other pollens. The irritation will result in swelling of throat membranes and will lead to narrowing of air passages thus enhancing the possibility of snoring. So, if you want to avoid membranes of the throat becomes irritated you just need to clean your room simple as that.
- Clear nasal airways first before going to bed. When your nose is clogged, you tend to rely on breathing through your mouth which is more than likely to produce snoring while you sleep. You can take a hot bath to clear sinuses or use nasal clearing devices, decongestants if nasal blocking is due to illness as examples.
Those are the natural ways to stop snoring if it is due to sleeping disorders or poor sleeping habits. Take note that this is just one group of solutions as there are other causes and it needs different solutions other than sleeping.